Jan 1, 2015

This is an interesting product.

Hello Everyone.
Happy New Year to you all, I hope it is a good one and your bank balance survives another battering from craft items you have 'just got to have.'

This is the first Challenge  for 2015 at Country View Crafts.
So what new craft goodies did you receive for Christmas?
 I bet you are itching to try them out, well itch no further as this month Brenda has set the theme 
'Use something new to you."
Here is the perfect opportunity to open up the packet and start a project with that new item.

I am also entering this creation into:
 Darnell's Challenge #3 - NBUS. The theme is Anything Goes.
The Mixed Media Card Challenge: NEW with optional element Tissue.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tFbelCgJWFQ/VEnIELfFVEI/AAAAAAAACfU/Lh6IkN8-FhY/s320/january2015challenge.jpg
My new product is Bister Ink, some of you may have heard of this unique substance, but for those who have not you can watch a video HERE.
 Unfortunately it is not in English but you can follow what it is about. 

I have a little tutorial on how I made my card.
This is how the ink comes, it looks like embossing powder, do not be concerned about the small quantity... it goes a long way.

 On playing with this stuff, I learnt very quickly that the cardstock you use must be able to hold quite a bit of water. Surprisingly watercolour paper does NOT work.
 I used 'House of Paper' A5 smooth 210 gsm card, if the card has a coating I think you will obtain  good results.

Here I have sprinkled a few colours onto my card, I am a little heavy handed, you really do not need this much.
Now spritz with water and see the magic develop. 
All the colours appear to have a tinge of Brown, for instance the Blue will develop into Blue and Brown, it is not develop into just one colour.
This was my first attempt.


This is my second and the one I used to make my card.
I stamped my image with Stazon Black Ink and coloured up using Copics.
 Added the chip board sillouette.
A sentiment and extra stamping to complete the look.

 What do I think of the Bister Ink? 
It is an interesting product and the effects are great, but it does take some practice to obtain a good result, I will definitely find a use for it in my creations now that I have it. 
Could I obtain a similar result with other inks?....probably.

Hop over to the Blog at CVC and see what my fellow teamies have designed.
Have a good Day, 
Smiles:)
Sue.


22 comments:

BobbisTreasure said...

Hmm. I have some ink crystals - I am going to try this! TFS!

butterfly said...

Gorgeous... I've been admiring the Bister on lots of the Dutch blogs I follow, and your background is fabulous. The card is stunning - the poppies look just glorious against that vivid sky.

Happy 2015!
Alison xx

Darnell J Knauss said...

Thank you for so many things, Sue. Thank you for the New Year's wish! Thank you for playing in my third NBUS Challenge! And thank you for showing how you made this spectacular card!

I just got some Brusho Inks, but I haven't had a chance to try them. I think they are pretty similar and I didn't know the bit about them not working on watercolor paper. I assumed you HAD to use them on watercolor paper. So I appreciate the tip! Happy New Year!! Hugs, Darnell

Kathyk said...

Stunning example, I've used mine (although mine are brusho water colour crystals) on water colour paper so am interested to see that you say not to.

Happy New Year

Kathyk

Lynn B said...

I love this - fab work.
I just got a gelli plate, so am working on a similar style myself - I can't cope with another new product yet!
Linbyx

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

What a great piece! Very artistic1 Love it! Hazel x

Becca Cruger said...

I just had to stop by because I saw this stunning card in the NBUS gallery and needed to know all the things about it! It's beyond beautiful! Thanks for the neat tutorial. Those ink crystals are pretty interesting, although I do love my Distress Inks.

Nikki Acton said...

HI Sue - this looks amazing! I have been wondering whether to get some brusho - the equivalent over here I think! I love what you have done with them. Happy New Year. Nikki xx

Linda said...

Beautiful card and amazing technique. Always so many different new products to try.

Dawn Turley said...

Gorgeous background Sue. I can't say I've heard of this product before but it really did make something beautiful.

Greta said...

Wow--best use of the poppy stamp I've ever seen, Sue! Very interesting stuff--beautiful background!

Loll Thompson said...

Hi Sue. Love the gorgeous colours and design with your Bister ink background. Really, really beautiful designed card. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Mixed Media Card Challenge.

Lyndal said...

LOVE, LOVE anything poppy - teamed with this FABULOUS background for an absolutely delicious card Sue!
So glad you played along with the Mixed Media Card Challenge!

Lisa M said...

Holy crud! What cool stuff. This is GORGEOUS!! I absolutely love how this looks.
I took a very long break from the computer, but now I'm back to see what I've missed. Leaving some love here on this post but I have thoroughly loved seeing all your posts. You certainly are enjoying your crafty time.
Big hugs to you my friend and thank you for the inspiration.
Lisa x

Charlene said...

Fabulous card!! Thank You for playing this week at MMCC!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Hi Susan - thanks so much for showing your experiment. I just purchased some Brushos, which I think work the same. I love your beautiful card! Thanks for joining in at the MMCC.

Sanna Lippert said...

oh wow! this is such a gorgeous card! looove the background and just everything about this! glad you played along with us at MMCC :)

Elina Strömberg said...

Beautiful card with amazing background texture. Love it!
Thank you for playing with us at MMCC. Hoping to see you with us again in February!

Kripa Koushik said...

Have got to try this out. The colour spread is almost magical. Thank you for playing along with MMCC this month. Cheers.

shirley-bee said...

I've always used my Brushos on watercolour paper so I'm looking forward to comparing the results on smooth card. I love the background you achieved, and the contract of the poppies in the foreground. Thanks so much for playing along with the Mixed Media Card Challenge :)

Rosemary said...

the background you created with the bister inks is just stunning, sue... the whole project is just stunning! when I see you create these kind of projects it almost makes me wish I had the space need to create like you do!

NieNie Sambuco said...

I saw your card on the Mixed Media Card Challenge, and was captured by its layout, colors, and elements. Nice work!