Sep 5, 2014

Altered Mixed Media Box

Hello everyone.

 The Mirror Crack'd is a new mixed media/altered art style challenge blog, and the owner Lin -Twisted Witch kindly invited me to be on the design team which I gladly accepted.
 I tend to muck around with mixed media and don't  take it very seriously, I guess that is what it is all about, getting messy, having fun and hopefully at the end of it a creation emerges!
The challenges will be running once a month on the fifth day of each month, some of which might have prizes, if you would like to participate you will find the first Challenge -'Anything Goes' here. NO CARDS ARE ALLOWED.

My first project is an altered box, it is always pleasing to me to see where the paper takes me, my inspiration was the G45 paper-12 days of Christmas.


 First step:
Choosing a few items for inspiration.

Attaching the G45 paper with Glue N' seal

Adding the media; fluid matte medium coloured with Red acrylic
Die cut, lace and Gold leaf, I also painted a wash in Antique Linen, but this did not last as you will see later.

Paints.

Elements.

Diecut frame and dry embossed.

Adding the image and Gold leaf into the glossy accents on the frame.

Back to the lid now and you will GASP!... because I did, but do not fret this is all about mixed media and this is par for the course so to speak, (well it is for me anyway).
 Red Acrylic and Black Indian Ink, spritz with water to let it run.  You have got to admit this looks a disaster, but I can fix it no worries
Added all the elements, including a cut up heart to hide my faux pas. 
I was looking for a hint of Red for the Bg, I was dreadfully heavy handed.


The metal element is topped with a brad, I cut off the prongs on the back for it to sit flat.
Attached some fibres along the bottom.



All finished.

More inspirational pieces can be found here. 
Working with mixed media can be scary, as normally it is a free for all with anything on hand, this is the fun bit as each creation is unique and interesting.
 So if you like getting down and dirty, give it a go, we would love you to join us for this fun Challenge.


Smiles:)
Sue

Products:





21 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Wowzer Sue, love all of this mixed media...it looks FANTASTIC...
The Journey is the Start



RosA said...

Love your mixed media project! I am awaiting inspiration and then maybe I can join in too :)

Joan said...

Fabulous, love what you have done , oh how clever to hide that red and black, think I would have given up at that stage but the finished piece is just amazing

Rosemary said...

firstly... congrats on your new design team, sue! they could not have chosen a better mixed media crafter!! your box is, of course, a mixed media masterpiece! love that you showed us your "mistake" and how you cleverly took care of the problem! hugs & smiles!

Dawn Turley said...

congrats Sue... a design team that's right up your alley. Love this box. You did an awesome job on it.

Brenda Brown said...

Love this Sue, fabulous mixed media piece with amazing layers and gorgeous outcome. Congrats on your new DT position, you will be awesome and I will go take a look at the new challenge.
Hugs Brenda xxx

JackieP Neal said...

Fabulous textures and loving those colors together! What a great vintage look you achieved with this- lovely piece!

JackieP Neal said...

ps, congrats on your new DT assignment and I followed you here via Elly!

Greta said...

They couldn't have picked anyone better for the DT, Sue! Your work always amazes me & this is no exception--another masterpiece, my friend! Thank you for the encouraging words--means a lot to me.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I gasped, too when you covered the cow. But, for something that started so bold and bright, you turned it into something gorgeously vintage. I was most impressed with your first DT entry.

Angela Radford said...

Lovely box Sue and thanks for including the instructions for making.
Have a great week and happy crafting, Angela x

butterfly said...

What a fabulous first creation for what sounds like a really exciting new challenge. Love what you've done with the papers, and the beautiful framing of the vintage image - enchanting!
Alison xx

Lucyna Marynowska said...

Wow! What a stunning project!

Evelyn S. said...

One would never know that you found it "scary" working with the mixed media, Sue! You do it so well! Again, there are so many fabulous elements at work here.

kit cochran said...

I love this piece, and I really liked the red color you used. Very striking piece. It just jumped out at me. All the shading you did really brought your piece to life as did all the texture. I'm excited about this blog. Brilliant artists in here...and you're one of them. Thanks for sharing.

Annick Guipouy said...

Hello, I don't speak english,
J'ai vue sur le blog The Mirror ta réas. et je la trouve magnifique!
Du coup, je voulais te féliciter et visiter ton blog.
A+

ADA

Becca Cruger said...

Ohmygoodness! I've been obsessively going through your posts and each creation is more beautiful than then next! I love your design aesthetic! Thank you for visiting me on my blog. I was so touched that Greta would post my card as a feature. I just recently started blogging and the support and the community I've found in just a short time has been so incredible. It definitely makes me want to keep getting my fingers all inky!

cheryl Baker said...

oh wow hun,what a brilliant mixed media,project just love all the different pictures,you have posted,and the end result is sheer,beautiful love love it hugs Cherylxxx

Pamellia Johnson said...

Holy moses!! What a stunning creation! I can't stop looking at all that mixed media goodness! Love every element, so festive and beautiful!! Congrats on your new DT at the Mirror Crack'd! hugs :)

Lisa M said...

Congratulations Onion ! You are definitely debuting with a hit here! That gold leafing looks like a diamond encrusted frame...absolutely stunning! Amazing what a vintage image and plain frame can do to create such an outstanding creation. So excited to see what each month brings from this challenge blog and YOU!
Glad to see you having fun.
Q

Juliz Design Post said...

Absolutely stunning box with serious wow factor. Love all your textures and vintage style. So beautiful, look forward to seeing more of your crafty projects so now a follower.
Julie x