Dec 8, 2012

A little bit of fabric with a stitch or two..yea



Hello Everyone.

The fabric is the Red element, I have a tutorial on how I created the texture below.

The other elements are a Vintage image.
Corrugated cardboard.
Textured paper, which has been torn.
Burlap.
Snowflake, which has been embossed with Enamelware ep.
And the numbers 25, which were inked up and little bits of mesh glued on, then coated with glossy accents.

















Two types of machine stitching; a straight and zig-zag,  I thought it would create more interest.
You can just about see that I have applied some white acrylic to the Corrugated Cardboard Bg, just to break up the uniformity of the lines.














My piece of calico was sprayed with inks, stamps applied and then a light coating of Gesso, I do this last part to stabilise and stiffen the material.











It also has the wonderful effect of toning and blending the inks into the material. I let this Gesso dry.
A tip, Only  use 100% cotton.




















Place inside an embossing folder, and you create the patterned texture as you would when using card stock.

Now just cut or fray as I have done to fit your project.



Christmas shopping with my girls tomorrow, a great weekend for me.
Smiles:)
Sue

17 comments:

Caroline said...

This is gorgeous I love the design and the colours are so beautiful. Caroline xxx

Buttons said...

Using gesso on fabric is such a great idea and it's wonderful the way it has allowed you to emboss it so well. Thanks for some more amazing inspiration Sue. Hugs, Jenny x

Barb said...

Love the way your card turned out, Sue! So many fab techniques used! Wonderful texture and LOVE those glossy numbers! Gorgeous work! :)

Lisa M said...

It's sensational O! I'm starting to wonder who is stalking who now. The Gesso and embossing folder is a fabulous technique and the many, many embellishments of texture and color blend beautifully. I especially LOVE that you altered the stitching. Gorgeous creation for the OCC challenge. :)
Quirks x

Anita Houston said...

PINNING! Oh the texture! Oh the design! Oh the material and stitching! All fabulous!

Julie Short said...

I love the look that you achieved with this fabulous technique.

Dawn said...

this challenge really is right up your alley Sue. I love how you have done your fabric background. I really must try out this at some time. Your card is stunning.

Mary J said...

The texture and colours in this are so gorgeous Sue! I can't stop looking at all the different details in it!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wow, Sue, your technique with the fabric is way cool. I have some muslin that I will try it with once I unpack my stash. Your piece (wall hanging?) came out sensational! Love the painted cardboard and your stitching always looks awesome. Super inspirational piece for our visitors! Hope your weekend is going great.

Hugs,
Linda

Rhissanna said...

What a brilliant idea. I know fabric painted with acrylics can be treated kinda like paper, but I didn't know about embossing and gesso. Thank you!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... Sue, the ink and stamp had such amazing effect on the calico on your card. I love the beautiful number diecuts,too. Your stitching is always perfect... :)

Greta said...

Hi Sue--I really love the look of your embossed snowflake & the acrylic on the corrugated piece--wonderful visual effects! Thanks for the tutorial--may have to invest in some gesso.

Evelyn S. said...

I love that piece of pink/red fabric! It's beautiful just by itself! I think I've told you that I have a new sewing machine that is now about 3 years old, and I've never used it.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fantastic, great details.

Lili said...

Wow Sue, you have done a wonderful work with that fabric. It looks absolutely gorgeous. I would like to have your patience to be able to apply those techniques in my projects. Your card looks terrific. Thanks for the inspiration.
Hugs ;)

Anonymous said...

I like it whenever people get together and share thoughts.
Great website, stick with it!
Feel free to surf my weblog ... amber leaf

Anonymous said...

If you have heard about professional athletes using Human Growth Hormone, then they probably used it for healing purposes.

When we are free from pressure and anxiety, our blood pressure normalizes, thus reducing common health problems related to stress.
HGH supplements are making
it possible for adults to increase their HGH levels and reap both the anti-aging benefits and enjoy increased muscle mass along with decreased body fat.
My web site :: HGH